Whole Wheat Stuffing with Dried Cherries and Pecans
Thanksgiving is known for stuffing, but we all know it and love it so much - why not make it whenever? With a whole wheat bread base, adding tart cherries and pecans to the mix makes it healthy and delectable.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 11 cups cubed whole wheat bread
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 7- by 11-inch baking dish (see Note) with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, parsley, sage, thyme and nutmeg. Cook, stirring frequently, until the celery is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and stir in the onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the chicken broth and toss to combine.
- Stir in the dried cherries and pecans.
- Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish. Bake until the stuffing is heated through and a light crust forms on top, 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Dara Michalski, http://www.cookincanuck.com.
We offer a variety of premium dried fruit, cherry concentrate, cherry juice, dietary supplements, chocolate covered dried fruit, and cherry salsa. Our delicious products are great for enhancing your favorite recipes, or as a quick, healthy snack.