Veggie Burger with Tart Cherry Salsa
This one is for all of you veggie burger lovers! With a chickpea base, this burger is packed full of veges! Top it off with some tart cherry salsa and you have a sweet & spicy party.
- 15-ounce can chickpeas (1½ cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 large carrot
- ½ red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup cilantro leaves (or parsley)
- 6 tablespoons flour of any type (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons lime juice (2 limes)
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeno chili pepper
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Mexican hot sauce
- 4 whole grain English muffins
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Dab the chickpeas with a paper towel to remove extra moisture, then place them in the bowl of a food processor. Add the sesame seeds, then process until a paste-like consistency is formed. Scrape the mixture into a bowl.
- Cut the carrot into rough chunks and peel the red onion and cut into chunks. Peel the garlic. Place the carrot, onion, garlic, and cilantro in the bowl of the food processor; pulse until finely ground. Scrape the vegetables into the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Stir in the flour, cumin, kosher salt, and black pepper. Mix with a spoon until combined, then form 4 round patties and place them on plate.
- In an ovenproof frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Place the patties in the pan, cover, and fry them about 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown, then flip and fry for another 4 to 5 minutes until browned, turning down the heat as necessary. Place the pan in the oven and bake the patties for 15 minutes. Remove the patties from the oven and let them cool for at least 15 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the tart cherries. Place them in a bowl with the lime juice and maple. Chop the bell pepper. Remove the seeds and ribs, and mince the jalapeno pepper (taking care when handling). Mince the red onion. Finely chop the cilantro. Add all ingredients the bowl and stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature until serving.
Topping & Serving
- Mix together the mayonnaise and hot sauce. Toast the English muffins.
- To serve, place each burger on an English muffin, and spread the top of the muffin with spicy mayo. Top with tart cherry salsa and serve. Eat any leftover salsa with chips.
We offer a variety of premium dried fruit, cherry concentrate, cherry juice, dietary supplements, chocolate covered dried fruit, and cherry salsa. Our delicious products are great for enhancing your favorite recipes, or as a quick, healthy snack.