Tart Cherry Rhubarb Crisp
Just the thought of tart cherries blended with rhubarb is enough to make anyone's mouth water! This scrumptious Tart Cherry Rhubarb Crisp combines the incredible flavors of summer and tops them with sweet, crunchy goodness!
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
|20 mins||40 mins||
Makes 2-4 servings
- 3 cups frozen Montmorency tart cherries, completely thawed (and pitted)
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- CRUMBLE TOPPING
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup roasted honey almonds*, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Optional: Vanilla bean ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Set out the tart cherries in a strainer in the sink until completely thawed. Shake off all excess liquid and place in a large bowl. Add the thinly sliced rhubarb, cornstarch, and sugar. Toss gently to combine and set aside while making the crumble topping.
- In another large bowl, toss together the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey roasted almonds (see notes for homemade version of these nuts).
- Cut the butter into small cubes and then cut that butter into the mixture. Use your fingers to work the butter into the mixture until a thick dough has formed.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon the cherry and rhubarb filling into the bottom of the prepared pan. Add the crumble on top in an even layer.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top. Remove and allow to slightly cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve topped with plenty of vanilla bean ice cream and drizzle extra fruit juices accumulated over the ice cream as desired.
Recipe courtesy of Recipe courtesy of Chelsea Lords of chelseasmessyapron.com.
We offer a variety of premium dried fruit, cherry concentrate, cherry juice, dietary supplements, and chocolate covered dried fruit. Our delicious products are great for enhancing your favorite recipes, or as a quick, healthy snack.