Tart Cherry Lentil Turkey Sausage Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Add a little spice to your sweet potatoes and serve a hearty masterpiece! These turkey sausage stuffed sweet potatoes are filled with hot Italian turkey sausage, lentils, Montmorency tart cherries and spinach!
Makes 4 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces turkey sausage
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Clean potatoes well leaving skin on and poke holes all around the flesh with a sharp knife. Place potatoes on the baking sheet and roast for 50-55 minutes until flesh is completely softened and skin is starting to crisp up on the outside.
- Meanwhile, place lentils in a small sauce pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, stir then reduce to a medium-low simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until softened. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add shallots and cook for about 1 minute. Add turkey sausage, removing it from the casing and break down using a spatula so that it cooks in small crumbles.
- Once sausage is mostly cooked through, add spinach, stirring until wilted. Add the cooked lentils to the skillet along with the chopped dried Montmorency tart cherries. Stir until everything is well combined, season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Remove potatoes from the oven, let cool slightly then slice lengthwise down the middle. Spoon the turkey sausage mixture into each sweet potato. Divide into 4 servings and plate.
Recipe courtesy of Recipe courtesy of Gina Matsoukas, runningtothekitchen.com.
We offer a variety of premium dried fruit, cherry concentrate, cherry juice, dietary supplements, and chocolate covered dried fruit. Our delicious products are great for enhancing your favorite recipes, or as a quick, healthy snack.