Tart Cherry Chocolate Tart
|Prep time||Cook time||Total time|
Makes 10 servings
- CHERRY JAM
- 6 ounces Montmorency pitted tart cherries (frozen)
- 1/4 cup peeled, finely grated granny smith apple
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (from about 7 ounces cookies)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- CHOCOLATE FILLING
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For jam, pulse cherries and apple briefly in a food processor until cut into mostly pea-sized chunks (do not puree). If using frozen Montmorency tart cherries, no need to thaw them first, just throw them right in the food processor.
- Combine chopped cherries and sugar in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until very thick and jam-like. Be sure to stir fairly regularly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and let cool.
- To prepare crust, finely chop wafer cookies in a food processor. Add sugar and salt and pulse to incorporate.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter for 30 seconds or until mostly melted. Add chopped chocolate and stir; the residual heat of the butter will begin to melt the chocolate. As needed, microwave the butter and chocolate mixture in 15 second intervals at half power, stirring well after each interval, until chocolate is just melted. Pour into cookie crumb mixture and fold until incorporated and crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Dump into a 13.75-by-4.5-inch rectangle or a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom. Press firmly onto bottom and up the sides (use a tamper or a small flat-bottomed glass to help if necessary). Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until firm.
- For filling, place chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. The finer you can chop this chocolate the better.
- Heat 3/4 cup of cream in a small saucepan until it just begins to bubble (do not let it fully boil). Pour warm cream over chopped chocolate. Let sit for 30 seconds, then begin to gently whisk, making small concentric circles in the center of the bowl, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add butter, 1 chunk at a time, whisking slowly until incorporated before adding the next chunk. Stir in vanilla.
- In a clean bowl, vigorously whisk remaining 1/2 cup cream until it forms soft mounds (you’re looking for a slightly softer consistency than typical whipped cream). Fold into melted chocolate mixture until smooth and no white streaks remain.
- To assemble, spread jam in an even layer in the bottom of chilled crust. Pour chocolate mixture over top and spread into an even layer. Place in the refrigerator and chill until set, at least 2 hours or overnight. Before serving, lift out of tart pan using removable bottom and slice into serving sized pieces.
Recipe courtesy of Recipe courtesy of Lindsay Landis LoveandOliveOil.com.
We offer a variety of premium dried fruit, cherry concentrate, cherry juice, dietary supplements, chocolate covered dried fruit, and cherry salsa. Our delicious products are great for enhancing your favorite recipes, or as a quick, healthy snack.