Montmorency Tart Cherry Tea Bread
Earl grey tea makes for a wonderful addition to this whole wheat bread. With dried tart cherries dispersed throughout, you get a sweet treat in every bite!
- 10 ounces boiling water
- 1 bag earl grey tea
- 250 grams dried tart cherries, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- Pour boiling water into a large bowl. Place tea bag in the bowl and let steep for 5-7 minutes. Remove tea bag once steeped and discard.
- Add the dried tart cherries, maple syrup and orange zest to the bowl, toss to combine and submerge the cherries in the liquid. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, baking powder and spices to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the soaked cherries along with any excess liquid to the bowl with the flour. Add the eggs and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the parchment lined loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until set and golden brown on top and around the edges.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pan by pulling the sides of the parchment paper up and place the bread on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
Recipe courtesy of Gina Matsoukas, http://www.runningtothekitchen.com.
We offer a variety of premium dried fruit, cherry concentrate, cherry juice, dietary supplements, and chocolate covered dried fruit. Our delicious products are great for enhancing your favorite recipes, or as a quick, healthy snack.