Butternut Squash and Tart Cherry Salad
- 1/3 cup Montmorency tart cherries
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 2 big handfuls mixed greens (i.e. spinach & arugula)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- A few leaves of fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook quinoa – rinse 1/2 cup quinoa then transfer to a small pot and toast the quinoa over medium heat. Add just over 1 cup of water, cover and bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, then turn heat off and let it sit (covered) for 15 more minutes until all water has evaporated. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Roast your butternut squash: Peel and slice into 1-inch cubes. Toss with a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat olive oil. Add the sage and stir until fragrant (30 seconds or so – just until the sage is not raw). Turn off heat and add apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, honey, salt & pepper.
- Assemble all salad ingredients together and toss with as much dressing as you like. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Recipe courtesy of Jeanine Donofrio, http://www.loveandlemons.com.
We offer a variety of premium dried fruit, cherry concentrate, cherry juice, dietary supplements, and chocolate covered dried fruit. Our delicious products are great for enhancing your favorite recipes, or as a quick, healthy snack.